Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Modesty & Beauty

Yesterday evening there was a Pendergraph meeting. (This organization is for single and married women and we meet monthly. Usually there's a guest speaker and food!) So last night Mrs. Mary Mohler, the president's wife, spoke on the topic of beauty. I love her passion on the subject of modesty and she is a wonderful speaker!
What amazes me is that the subject of modesty even has to be addressed here at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. But there is a problem, both here and in the church. In our church there are young women that dress inappropriately...clothes are too tight, cleavage is visible, shirts and dresses and skirts are too short. The poor men don't stand a chance. In my parent's church, my dad recently approached one of the deacons and bluntly said, "I'm tired of seeing breasts in church." (One girl apparently flaunts herself weekly...and her father is a deacon). I don't understand the parents!
Anyway, here at Southern, just yesterday in class I saw quite a bit of cleavage, and about a half-inch of belly. Recently a young woman was talking to me about the problem of modesty. She has large breasts and wears clothes that always show cleavage. Her reasoning is that her breasts are too large and if she wants to look cute and modern, she has no choice. The obvious answer is, so what...give up cute and modern. Go for the classy, Godly look!
Anyway, back to Mrs. Mohler! She gave this outline:
"What Does Biblical Beauty Look Like Today?"
A. Dignified (I Cor 6:19--20, Prov 31-25)
B. Unique (Ps 139:13-14)
C. Modest (Prov 11:22; I Tim 2:9)
D. Gracious (Phil 4:5; Col 4:6)
E. Reflective (II Cor 4:16)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not what most of us think of when we think of beauty. Two last thoughts she gave: We should strive for contentment and seek daily to strength our inner beauty.