Thursday, September 21, 2006

Thurs AM

Well, Tuesday got more eventful after my blog. The day was fine and around midnight we were preparing for bed. I decided to consult one of my nursing textbooks to try to discover the cause of the pain I've been having in my left upper quadrant...just under my ribs. I don't think I've explained this in detail, but here's what has been going on. For about three months, I've had intermittend discomfort in the area, but for about two weeks, the discomfort has worsened and become virtually constant. I attributed it to the baby growing/kicking, but the last few days I began to suspect something else may be going on. Also, the area is tender to touch, and slightly bruised. The discomfort is worse after meals, but is constant the rest of the time. It hurts both internally and on the skin. Just weird. So Tuesday night I became convinced I had acute pancreatitis. We went to the ER. (Frankie was supposed to be in classat 7:30am and it was midnight when we went to the hospital). Needless to say, the waiting room wait lasted about two hours. We finally saw a doctor and he immediately dismissed my idea of acute pancreatitis, but had no other explanation for what may be causing the discomfort/pain. I was sent to Labor & Delivery, where a cerival exam was performed (ugh!) and the baby was monitored. I ended up having a few light contractions (which had been occuring and I didn't even realize they were contractions. I thought the baby was just moving around!). Everything with the baby seemed normal, so they discharged me. The final word was, "maybe you ran into something, or maybe it's just because of these contractions." I was kind and simply nodded and left, but inside I was screaming, "Hello! I would know if I ran into something hard enough to bruise myself. And how can it be from contractions if it's been going on for months!" Anyway, I was outdone and felt like we wasted a night. It was 5am when we returned and I was still hurting and had no answers. The only positive note is that (hopefully) if something was seriously wrong, my blood work would have indicated some abnormalities. I guess.
I have an appointment with my OBGYN today at 3pm. Hopefully she'll be more helpful.
Well, I better go...so much to do today! Class at 1pm (we're having a 'fellowship' so I have to make cookies, Dr's appt this afternoon and SWI tonight. Plus I have to clean some and I need to run to Wal-Mart before class.