Friday, September 22, 2006

Friday

I had my SWI class last night and the topic was contentment. I was very convicted about my sinful discontent heart. The speaker read a great poem:

It was spring...but it was summer I wanted,
the warm days, and the great outdoors.
It was summer, but fall I wanted,
the colorful leaves, and the cool, dry, air.
It was fall, but it was winter I wanted,
the beautiful snow, and the holiday season.
It was winter, but it was spring I wanted,
the warmth, and the blossoming of nature.
I was a child, but it was adulthood I wanted,
the freedom, and the respect.
I was 20, but it was 30 I wanted,
to be mature, and sophisticated.
I was middle-aged, but it was 20 I wanted,
the youth, and the free spirit.
I was retired, but it was middle age I wanted,
the presence of mind, without limitations.
my life was over. But I never got what I wanted.

I thought this poem very powerful and so true. I find myself thinking sometimes, "If only Frankie had a bigger church making more money, things would be better." "If only we had another bedroom in our apartment and more closet space, then I wouldn't complain." "If only we had a church closer...If only Frankie was finished with school....If only I could find a good part-time job..." But the 'if onlys' never stop. The point is we have to have contentment in Jesus Christ in all circumstances. We cannot depend on circumstances for our joy. However, contentment is learned ...and is learned through experience. Anyway, the lecture was good and I came away resolved to complain less! And praise God more!