Sunday, October 01, 2006

October 1

I just have a quick post this morning. Frankie isn't too keen on me being on the Internet on Sunday mornings, so I'll at least be brief. Recently I told my mom something that Frankie had already suggested I not disclose. (It was about him not getting paid last week...and the same thing last month). I wasn't mad about it or complaining when I told my mom, but telling her about God's provision (a couple of people gave us money). So yesterday my mom said something about it and she was angry...complaining about the church and all. I realized my mistake in revealing anything remotely negative about the church. I told Frankie about it and got an "I told you so" look (and speech). We had an interesting discussion though about how people do not understand the life and situations of a minister (and family) unless they have been in that role.
Frankie has an uncle that once said he had no right to preach since he'd gotten a speeding ticket. (Ok, that's just dumb!). So there are expectations on a pastor's family that aren't on other Christians. Also people suggest that since we aren't being paid much we may not be in the church where God is calling us. On the other hand, the same people will quickly suggest a pastor isn't even "called" if he's at a church that pays a lot (he's just in it for the money). The list goes on and on. I do realize that any negativity should not be devulged, especially to those not in the ministry (and especially to family).
I do want to add that my mom's concern is just me (and the baby!). She worries and still hasn't quite adjusted to me being married and 9 hours away.