Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tuesday morning

Well, the weather has abruptly turned cold around here! I love it, especially since Lydia has several precious fall/winter outfits. I didn't realize just how much fun it would be to dress a little girl. I grew up a tomboy (as an only child, my dad missed having a son, so in many ways he treated me like a son). I've never been much into frills and "girly" things, so I sort of rolled my eyes (to myself) when people talked about the fun of dressing little girls. I've caught some criticism from family and friends for never having put a bow in Lydia's hair. I think bows/headbands on baby's are silly (and likely uncomfortable). Last winter Lydia never wore a dress, which also had people talking. My rationale was that she was only an infant/newborn and sleepers made more sense to me than frilly, poofy dresses. I do hate poofy dresses. Almost as much as a headband on a baby. Anyway, when Lydia started walking something changed. I guess because she's bigger, more mobile and a toddler...I just started looking beyond just comfort for her. So last Sunday she wore the most adorable brown tweed jumper dress (with small pink satin bow), with matching long-sleeved cream shirt, matching tweed pageboy hat, cream tights and brown shoes. She was gorgeous. Of all times not to have a camera. UGH.
My Sony Cybershot died about two weeks ago...I'm going through terribly withdrawals! Lydia's birthday is quickly approaching, so yesterday I caved in an bought a new camera... a Canon Powershot. I hope it is a good camera and that it arrives before my baby's first birthday!
One more tidbit, Lydia has definitely mastered the sign for "milk." It is so amazing!! I'm in love with signing! (Granted, it's only one sign she knows, but still). I mean, what a way to communicate with your baby...preventing a meltdown (from either party)that is due to not being able to explain or understand the baby's wants. It's awesome. She wobbles over to me and signs "milk" and yells. I ask, "You want milk?" (Signing "milk" as well as saying it) She just goes wild flailing and smilking and signing it harder! It's so great. I don't know what to work on next. I'm getting a late start with this since it's recommended to start as early as 6 months, but it's still exciting to watch her learn and communicate.