Sunday, January 21, 2007

I don't have too much extra time this morning, but I want to post some thoughts before I forget.
First, we have much going on around here. We finally (after 2 years) took my computer to be repaired. I desperately need it since Frankie will be taking his laptop to the library each day after classes begin. I can't go to the computer center anymore since I'll be taking care of the baby, so I really need a computer for me to finish my work on. The repair (as Best Buy) was about $200 and will be ready in one to two weeks. Hopefully it will be clean and we won't have additional problems with it.
Today we have church, of course and I dread the drive to Munfordville. It's freezing outside!
On my last post someone asked me if my husband was looking for a larger church. This is something we (esp my husband) has struggled with and I thought I'd post about it. He's been at our current church over two years. He started that pastorate before we were married and his financial situation wasn't as dire. His rent was half what it is now since he lived in a dorm. He also didn't have a baby and that added expense. The church won't/can't(?) pay anymore (just over 12,000/year) as they are used to having pastors that are bivocational or part-time. We have struggled with the question of seeking another church. On one hand, God has provided for us this far and we know He will continue to do so. However, it's typical that more educated preacher's are in larger churches. But maybe that's not because they were lead there, but because they want to be there. Another thought recently crossed my mind about it. If full-time, more educated pastors take the smaller churches, where will the part-time, uneducated, bi-vocational pastors go? Preaching is the only job where there is a question about leaving for more money. I mean, in any other profession, this wouldn't be a question. It's like you are doubting God in finances and assuming you deserve a bigger church because you're educated. However, many people in our current church have suggested Frankie get another job to supplement income. But he's a preacher...that's all he knows how to do! I'll write more on this tonight..