Sunday, October 08, 2006

New Issue with Baby

There's so much controversy over everything to do with newborns. So many critical decisions to make and so much to worry about. In a previous blog I mentioned that I had been reading a lot of material about newborns/infants (from info about breastfeeding to sleeping and diapers). Several months ago I debated over disposables vs cloth diapers, then it was breastfeeding on demand vs pumping. Lately I've been reading about sleep habits and training (early on). Yesterday a new concern arose. Vaccinations. In nursing school I quickly realized I disagree with a lot of common practices and the way many physicians and healthcare workers approach situations (namely medicating first thing). I am very much an advocate of natural, holistic health, but until now that has just been focused on myself. It's so much of a bigger deal when I'm talking about my child! So as for vaccinating, what to do? Up until recently I haven't thought too much about it. I know I'll get the eye meds and Vit K at the hospital, but what about Hep B...it's optional. And maybe unnecessary? What about Measles, Mumps, Rubella, ChickenPox, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Flu, and the relatively new cervial cancer vaccine! I know there are risk factors that increase the chances of an adverse reaction (prematurity, family hx of seizures or adverse reactions to meds, parent with severe allergies, etc...although I will add that my nursing textbooks states these as myths. I don't believe that though). I am just trying to figure out the pros/cons of each vaccination. Then I guess I'll go with those that are relatively safe or have a low chance of reaction. Who knew there were so many things to worry about with babies! I mean, I knew the common things, but there's tons more no one warned me about!! Lord HELP!