Tuesday, October 17, 2006

37 weeks today

In one more week the baby will be full term! Hooray! I hope she arrives next weekend! Frankie & I went to our prenatal class yesterday. There was a pediatrician speaking, making suggestions on how to choose a pediatrician and all that. I have one in mind (only because the office is close to us), but I plan to go today or tomorrow and check out the office and ask them a few questions. We have only two more prenatal classes (next week is newborn care and the following Monday is breastfeeding). I happened to think last night that I may not make it to the last class. (Although I do want to since I plan to breastfeed).
I'm eager for my parents to get here next week. I'm excited about them coming up; I just wish my dad could stay longer. He'll only be here Friday and Saturday, then has to go back Sunday. (He has to work Monday and also take care of the dogs).
I don't think I've written about this, but I've had a dog since I could walk. We lived out in the country and everyone just had dogs. When I was around 9 years old, I got Spud. She was a mutt. A yard dog with no training, but I loved her. So my dad was all about me having a dog, but he firmly believed dogs belong outside. No dogs in the house, ever...steadfast rule I never even questioned. When I was 18 on Spring Break (at the beach), Spud died. When I was 15, we got Goldie, a Golden Retriever/Lab mix. She was a little fuzz ball. The first night we got her, she was so tiny and scared, I begged to let her sleep at least in the bathroom. From there she slowly took over the entire house. Now, at age 12, she is the Queen of the house. Since getting her, I also picked up two strays. One was a terrier mix that is so vicious. She is so temperamental! but I love her dearly! She's my dog. No one else can do a thing with her. (I love that). The last stray I picked up is about 4 years old and is so gentle and playful. We have no clue what's in her...she's just this big, black bear looking dog. She loves the pool and adores my dad. Well, when Daisy (second dog) came along, dad said, no more dogs in the house. She can stay outside. Well, she'd just stare in the back sliding glass door at Goldie. She, too, slowly made her way in. When Pawley (third dog) came along, my dad really fumed. She will not come in this house. Well, she hurt her leg one night and I brought her in. "Just into the back room" (laundry room with bathroom and treadmill). That did last quite awhile, but eventually she too made her way completely into the house. :) Since I left, my parents have bought gates (for babies) so that the dogs are confined to only four rooms. I think it's hilarious. My parents were always a little snooty about cleanliness and people having animals in the house. Now if someone so much as suggests our dogs are unclean or anything like that, my parents are offended as though they were children. :)
Frankie isn't a dog lover. He never had pets growing up (maybe one dog for a year or so), so he just doesn't get it. Recently we were in bed and I have assembled the bassinet for the baby right by my bed. Since we don't have too much longer, I've just left it there to prepare and get used to it being there. Well, I was sort of playing with it and got a fabulous idea. I turned to Frankie and said, "Do you know who this would be perfect for?!" He asked who. "Daisy!" She loves to be in a little bed and covered up. She also loves to be up high...in a chair, on a bed, etc. The bassinet would be perfect for her. Frankie looked at me like I just fell from Mars. "It's for our baby Amy!" Of course, I know that. And I do not suggest they share the bassinet, but I mean after she outgrows it. She'll only be in there a couple of months at the most. Then we can pass it down to Daisy. :) I mentioned to Frankie that I know Daisy misses sleeping with me. My parents won't let the dogs in their bed, but Daisy slept with me nightly for years. Frankie rolled his eyes and said, "bring them all up here and you and the baby and Daisy, Goldie and Pawley can just pile up in the bed. I'll sleep on the floor." I called him a troll.
Anyway, just thought I'd tell about my doggies.