Monday, August 07, 2006

Clock strikes midnight

We just got home from church and, as usual, it's after midnight. Church today went well, but it was such a busy day. We started a Sunday school class at the Hartway Apartments recently. So far we have about 5-8, but we're expecting it to grow. Anyway, Frankie leads a class there at 10am. After the class we have church 11-12:30. Today after church we talked a bit, then had lunch with an elderly lady from Hartway. By the time we finished lunch and talked for a few minutes, we had to get going. Frankie had to preach at the local jail and I went to the Nursing home for an hour service. I led the music, which is quite interesting considering I cannot sing. I do mean cannot! After those services wrapped up, Frankie picked me up for us to go to the funeral home. An elderly lady that attends the Hartway SS Class lost her son Friday night (car accident...he had a tire blowout). We were there about 20 minutes, then we made our way to visit another lady who is having eye surgery on Wednesday. After that, we headed back to church. We had about 15 minutes before the evening service began. After church we made two more visits, then got on the road. Ok, so that's definitely a full day and makes for a tiring day. I'm exhausted, so I can't imagine how Frankie feels...he taught a class for 30 minutes and preached three full length sermons! Plus all the visiting. But here's what gets me. Ok, during morning services this lady came that hasn't been in like three months. She's a member and says she's saved. She has no health problems and travels with her friends frequently.
So she says to Frankie, "It's been three months since I've been here and I haven't seen the first deacon or a preacher."
Frankie responded, "Have you been sick?"
Her reply, "No."
He said, "Well, you didn't need a visit then. Why haven't you been to church?"
She shrugged her shoulders.
He said, "Maybe I should come by and pray with you."
She didn't respond.
Then another lady after church was telling us how we needed to visit her friend, a lady who recently joined the church. Last week, we went to visit her and she was already in the bed (it was before 8pm). So this week we were so busy and I made a comment to the lady that we'd try to get there but we just had so much to do. The lady responded quickly that her friend was the type that really expected a visit and although she knew Frankie was busy he really needed to get over there. It made me a little mad.
Anyway, people just don't understand the ministry if they've not been in it. But overall, the people are pretty good. I know they mean well and we have a lot of great supporters at the church...I think. :)
Tomorrow we leave for SC! I'm eager to be home...as always.