Friday, August 04, 2006

Friday, Queen's Day

Every Friday is Queen's Day. I don't think I've written about this before. Anyway, when Frankie & I got married he decided one day of the week would be my day. I get to decide what we do all day. I chose Friday since Saturday's are his day of preparation for Sundays and the rest of the week tends to be busy, especially during the semester. It has been really fun and a great idea. One Friday afternoon I was complaining about my day's being boring and we decided (at 5pm) to go to Canada. It was fun. We just drove there, rode around, stopped at a store, then drove back. Several times last summer/fall we rode our bikes all day. That was fun as well, but tiring! I'm not sure what today will hold. At the least, we eat out and watch a movie usually.
I hope we can continue with this tradition after the baby is born.
Recently I've been giving a little thought to having or attempting to have this baby naturally. I've talked to a couple of women that have had natural deliveries. One elderly lady that had like 12 kids said she advised having an epidural. Her logic was, it's offered, it makes it a little easier, you might as well. I mentioned to her my concerns about how the medicine affects the baby. She dismissed those thoughts. I realize that people tend to think ideas are absurd if it's not something they did. For example, I mentioned to some people that I want to try using clothe diapers. One response was, "You must be kidding...you aren't going to do that. Put a real diaper on that kid." I realized though, that these responses are from people that only used disposable diapers themselves. Maybe the real problem is they think it somehow questions their parenting. I don't know. I think maybe I'll just start keeping my thoughts and considerations to myself. I just don't want to be an average parent raising an average kid and doing things just because that's what people do these days. I want to do what's best for the child. Another example is with homeschooling. We plan to homeschool and others just think we're nuts. But I really believe they know it's the best thing, they just don't want to (or didn't) sacrifice to do it themselves. I get sick of hearing the one opposition. (There's only one, compared to the numerous benefits). What about social skills? That's so ignorant. We aren't going to lock the kid up and never let her make friends or be around people. Anyway, I don't know what this has to do with anything. :)
OH well.