Friday, July 28, 2006

It's a God thing.

I forgot to mention this in my previous blogs, but while we were in SC our bank account continued to dwindle at an alarming rate! I was working PRN at a nursing home, but they demand 12 hour shifts and the last one I did caused so much back pain and swelling (I guess due to pregnancy). My OBGYN doesn't recommend so many long hours especially since I'm on my feet 95% of that time (not an exaggeration). Anyway, I have slacked off with work and Frankie makes $1138/month. (Last year he cleared $666. Creepy.) Our rent at Seminary is $575/month (which includes water but not electricity). His tuition in the PhD program is $600/month during the semester. Of course, $575 + $600= $1175, which leaves us negative $37. Ok, so we're poor. But we had a little more saved up from me working, so each month we had about $200 left. After traveling to SC, however, with gas so outrageous and having to eat out, our account dropped. To add to the decline, Frankie drove back to KY to preach then returned to get me to allow me a few extra days with my parents.
OK, so to the point... when we got back to KY I checked the account and we had $50. The electric bill and other bills from bloodwork I had down when I found out I was pregnant came in the mail. For a change, however, I felt peaceful about it and didn't really worry a bit (not typical behavior for me!). That very day in the mail we received $100 from a pastor friend in SC and $100 from an old friend of Frankie's! What an amazing God we serve! Neither people knew of our financial struggles. What timing. The pastor's wife had written on the card, "It's a God thing." I just thought to myself, "yea, it is."
It reminded me of a book I read recently about Brother Andrew (God's Smuggler)...he was such a faithful servant of the Lord and God provided for him in the most amazing ways time and time again. I long for that kind of faith all the time. And to remember that there is a distinct difference between the things I want and the things I need. One fear I have is that if/when we're ever in a position where our financial situation is good, I will become more consumed with material possessions.
I do think that I have done very well, considering. As an only child, I got pretty much everything I wanted. I was used to using a debit card from my parents account at liberty, so marrying a poor preacher was a shock. Sometimes it amazes me that it's been over a year since I just went shopping, buying whatever I want. Actually, it's been a year since I bought anything new for myself. It's been humbling and good, though. I've also realized people can get by on so much less than they think they can. Of course, we all live at income level. But when we know couples that make $50-80,000 and they talk about their bills and talk about how they don't know how they're going to make it, we can't help but shake our heads. We do understand that the more money you have, the more bills you tend to have.
Anyway, enough about money. Just wanted to tell about God's latest provision for us!