Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Revisiting student life

Before my husband & I married he expressed his desires for me to work toward a Master's degree at some point. I agreed at the time, thinking then that was something I would like to eventually do. Last fall he encouraged me to apply to the Master's program, which I did and was accepted to begin in the spring. Because so much was going on, I requested my beginning semester be postponed until the fall...which is almost upon us. Several times my husband has mentioned me signing up for a class or two this semester, so yesterday I finally did it. I already take a class for women each semester that meets for a couple of hours once a week. In addition to that, I signed up for a class that meets twice a week for just over an hour. Under normal circumstances I would be excited, but I'm worried that being pregnant will interfere with even this one class. My baby is due the first week in November and classes aren't over until the week before Thanksgiving. I'm sure that my professor will be understanding and allow me to do my work in advance or something like that, but I'm still a little worried about it all.

Also, this is vain, I know, but I'm concerned about my appearance. I look like a big cow and most of my clothes don't fit properly. I do have a few (like three) pairs of pants that fit ok, and several shirts. However, most of these are summer clothes. As for fall and winter clothes, I have two shirts that might fit. I'm shy enough without feeling drab, fat and unfashionable in class!

Last night one of Frankie's friends from Moldova called and is planning to come visit us tomorrow through Sunday or Monday. I'm glad for the visit and I do think it's important for Christians to show hospitality and have an open home to anyone. The problem with this lately has been that we are so often traveling or visiting in SC and it takes several days for our apartment to get back in order. Monday I began working on laundry from our SC visit. Before I was finished, I read a note on the basement door where the campus washers & dryers are that said to finish laundry by 7am on Monday (it was then noon!). All washers & dryers will be removed and replaced Wednesday. Needless to say, I didn't finish my laundry. Soooo, between now and tomorrow, I have to do some serious cleaning. (And let's not forget that church is tonight...We drive 2.5 hours roundtrip to Munfordville twice a week, which takes a huge hunk of our time).