Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Something else

I forgot that I wanted to write about a recent discussion Frankie & I had. I wonder other's opinion on this. Yesterday we took Lydia Catherine for a walk. It was great...lots of fun to get out of the house and take her for another stroll. So as we passed things I would tell her what they were and make comments about them. We passed a soccer field and I said, "That's a soccer field. When you're a big girl you can play soccer if you want to." I started talking to Frankie about sports and I commented that I only would let her play soccer or basketball (softball is too dangerous)..or she could take up running or swimming (they seem very safe). So Frankie responded by saying he didn't really know how he felt about a daughter playing sports. He commented that most (90%) of the girls he knew (high school...college and even as a pastor) that played sports are tomboyish or even very masculine. He said he didn't think it very feminine to play sweaty sports and get all scratched up and beat up. Plus (he threw this in) it's hard on joints and bones...unsafe. I was a little scandalized. I'm all for biblical manhood and womanhood. I loved my class on embracing femininity. I want Lydia to love being a girl. And we will teach her that the husband is the head of the home...he is the leader and wives are to be submissive. We will also teach her husbands are to love their wives as themselves. BUT I was a tomboy! I climbed trees, I had a dirtbike even! I loved sports, but I also loved dancing and piano. I think our children should be allowed to play sports or instruments or anything they are interested in. We can still cultivate and encourage their individual personalities and gender roles. Part of me is very annoyed, but then again, I wonder if it is not culture. I want to say, A girl can do anything a boy can do! But that's not Biblical...it's just cultural...and what I was taught. So should sports be off limits.