Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The strong-willed, stubborn wife

A couple of weeks ago I took a class at the Seminary (Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) Embracing Femininity. It was very interesting and informative.
The problem is that I find it hard to embrace my femininity a lot of the time. I mean, I do enjoy cooking and serving my husband in many ways. However, the models I've seen since childhood are completely contrary to how women are supposed to behave biblically. For example, my mom always made most of the decisions in the home. She decided my curfew, where/when I could go places, she controlled the finances/paid the bills, she determined what purchases were made, she decided where we'd go to church, what vehicles were purchased, etc. I don't remember my father making very many decisions. She always has the last word in an argument and she never really 'waits on' my dad...unless he's sick.
My grandmother is the same way with my grandfather. My aunt (mom's sister) doesn't even like her husband. My other aunts are all divorced. Many of them were/are big on women's liberation. Two of them were part of the "corporate world." They are all independent, tough women that roll their eyes at men and would snicker at housewives.
I suppose it's no wonder I often "buck" as my husband says. In all I suppose I'm doing relatively well in this new role.